10 Apr 2010

Blood Donation – a kind act of citizenship that saves lives

0 comments
This Friday I did something that gives me an enormous joy: I donated blood.

It might seem a paradox to some: “Blood? Needle? Joy? What?”; but for me, to donate is pleasure, citizenship, an opportunity to save lives. And I must confess I have high hopes that one day this will be the meaning of it for many more people.

Besides, I donate because blood doesn’t grow in trees. I donate despite the needle, the bruises I had or the times I fainted. I donate blood because any inconvenience goes away quickly in comparison with a life that remains. And honestly after a few times none of this bothers or even happens again.

I donate voluntarily, for absolutely nothing in return! I don’t need discounts, benefits, and most of all I don’t need money for it. My blood is not for sale. If it were, what would be the cost of a life?

I also prefer to donate to people I don’t know. Not only because I rather not have dear ones in need for blood. But actually, because I like to think that if everybody did the same, when necessity comes no one would need to be despaired to find replacement donors. No surgery would be postponed and no emergency would risk being uncovered.

And I donate regularly 02 or 03 times a year, because in my Country (Brazil) only 1.8% of the population donates. And this is how it has been for the past 10 years. I’m also a conscious donor. I follow the rules and I try to inform myself the scientific reasons for temporary and permanent impediments. And I take care of my health, of what I eat, how well I rest and of my attitudes.

Finally when I can’t donate, I try to convince someone to become a donor. Especially because if only 2% more of the Brazilian population became donors, that would be enough. We all would be certain that if we or someone we love ever needed; there would be quality blood available.

I have been dreaming with this reality; and I know I’m not the only one in the World. Organizations such as the IFBDO – International Federation of Blood Donor Organizations (www.fiods.org) and the WHO - World Health Organization (www.who.org), among others; have been fighting day after day for more people to become altruist, voluntary, non-remunerated, regular blood donors.

To be a donor is easy! Overcome your fears or laziness and find the blood bank closer to you. And if for any reason you are unable to donate, become an ambassador for this vital cause. Promote it and you’ll be saving many lives through those you convince.

To donate is a huge kindness; and it makes many patients’ now not only better, but possible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment