18 Apr 2010

Are we that lost?

1 comments
“We are worried about creating a better world for our children... when will we start to think about creating better children to our World? (Author Unknown)”



Friday, 5pm; lacking what to do, I start to observe people discretely.

I get bits and pieces of a conversation between a father and his 13, 14 year old son. The sexist kind of talk reveals how much my culture must evolve in terms of gender and respect; but wasn’t what caught my attention. In a certain moment, the father who was drinking a soda tries to rise to throw its bottle in the trash. The following dialogue happens:

Son: “Don’t toss it there, let’s throw it in that guy’s head!” (and points someone in the street).
Father: “No, otherwise the bottle may provoke a flood!” (and puts the bottle in the trash).

I was shocked! I couldn’t decide between applauding his environmental and social awareness, and horrifying myself with their lack of human consciousness. Are we that lost?

Of course he was playing with the wicked idea, but it’s not necessary to leave the Brazilian public transport system to realize that maybe (just maybe) we are inverting values a bit!

It doesn’t matter how crowded is the tube, do I really rather push someone than wait for the next train? Ignore a million signs and bump into someone than wait for them to leave? Pretend I’m sleeping than giving away my place, knowing that when I grow older I’m likely to be treated the same way?

We’ve all done something like this before. So did I! And I’m fully aware that change my attitude and being kind isn’t easy, but hold on a second, it’s not that difficult either.

Does it really take that long to help someone struggling to get a suitcase up the stairs, if I was going that way anyhow? Is that really going to make me late? For what am I late?

I did the test myself that Friday. It hardly took me 30 seconds longer than what I would take anyway. And you know what is most interesting? That person took the same bus I did. She was grateful and had I helped or not, I would have left the same time.
When ignoring or hurting instead of helping someone; and laughing about our miseries instead of doing something to improve the situation; becomes the rule, what kind of human beings have we become? Why are we doing what we are doing, again? And, how can we create a better World if we are treating human beings as garbage to start with?

I don’t know all the answers, but I’m sure of something: I want to live in a World where people are treated as priority. A place in which we receive the respect and consideration we deserve. For that, I must stop, think about what I’m doing and change my attitude. There is no other way! The change for a better now starts in me and restarts every single second.

1 comments:

Unknown says:
19 April 2010 at 05:07

And as we know, that is easier said then done. But: that is also a way of thinking and seeing problems instead of solutions.

Thanks for the wise words dear!

Post a Comment